Thursday, 29 March 2012

Easy Recipe to Eat Away at Chometz

Photo: Blog Shalom

Anyone reading who knows me personally will be VERY surprised to see me put up a recipe here. However, today at the grocery store, I got hit with a strong scent of cilantro, and remembered a soup I had made for Rosh Hashana last year. At first I thought it was for Passover, but then remembered it's a bread soup. (I only cook on special occasions . . . Just Kidding! Sort of.) Anyway, you probably have most of the ingredients at home, so I figured it might be good for chometz-ridding. If I could make it, then it's pretty foolproof - ask Mr. CL. 

Alentejo is a classic Portuguese bread soup. I first had it on a trip to Portugal with the-at-the-time- future-Mr. CL. Yeah love 'em to bits, but travelling with kids is Just. Not. The. Same. Anyway, the soup has this bold coriander and olive oil flavor, and is very different than most haymishe food would be. If you're adventurous with food - it's a good one. 

Here's the recipe (from Cuisines of Portuguese Encounters by Cherie Y. Hamilton):

You'll need:
1 loaf of day-old whole wheat bread (preferably the big round kind with a hard crust)
1 large bunch of cilantro (aka coriander) - coarsely chopped
8 cups of chicken broth or water with 1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil

Just . .
Break the bread into chunks and place at the bottom of a soup terrine.
Sprinkle the cilantro over the bread
(Keep the terrine close to the stove, because you will need it in a couple of minutes. You probably don't need notes like that in your recipes. I do.)

Then . . .
Heat the chicken broth or water w/ salt to a simmer.
Break the eggs one at a time carefully into a saucer and (the tricky part) slide each into the simmering broth.
Poach the eggs for about 3 minutes until they are set.

Finally . . .
Carefully remove the eggs one at a time and place over the bread and cilantro.
Add the olive oil.
Bring the broth to a boil, and slowly pour over the bread so as not to break the yolks.
Cover/let stand for 5 minutes.

To serve:
Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and top each with a poached egg  - careful not to break the egg yolk.

In an ideal world, it looks like this:
Photo: A Mingling of Tastes Blog











At my house the zoom out of the kitchen post cooking (if I was the one cooking) would probably look like this:
Photo: My Dirty Kitchen Floor Blog











Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...